Sunday, September 13, 2009

What if another child is not God's plan for us?

This is a question that I have begun to ask myself. It is hard to discuss or even really consider. It is possible to feel complete with just one child? How will I cope if this is God's plan?

I find encouragement in the truth that nothing will ever happen to me that has not been filtered through God's hands. Even though infertility has shocked me completely, I realize that God has known this would be part of my life story since before time began. Psalm 139:16 says “All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.” He knows every struggle I face today, tomorrow, and the rest of my life. This is good news.. Why? Because he knows just how to lead me through each and every trial. If His plan is for us to be a family of three, He knows how to carry me through the moment this possibility becomes a reality. He has a plan to bring me through every situation. His wisdom is infinite. His love is unending. His mercies are new every morning.

Here is a wonderful promise that God wrote that I find comfort in. John 10:10 says, “I’ve come that you might have life, and have it more abundantly.” God wants me to have an abundant life! When He spoke the stars into existence and formed the world, He did it with just a word from His lips. He so strongly wants me to have an abundant life that He came to ensure it! It is also important to notice what is missing in this Scripture. This Scripture does not say “I’ve come that you might have life and have it more abundantly as long as you have 2 or more children.” The fact that Jesus came for us is enough for us to have an abundant life in Him, whether more children are a part of God’s plan for us or not.

If God's plan for me does not include more children, He knows how to sustain me. He offers me an abundant life through Him anyway. He loves me enough to provide an amazing, fulfilling life for me, even if my family is a perfect family of 3.

1 comment: