Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Choices

As I stand face to face with the issue of infertility, many choices are ripped away from me. The choice of when to have children, the choice of how many children to have, the choice of keeping my problem private. Other choices are difficult to make. Do we consult a doctor? How far do we go with treatment? What do we give up to pay for medical treatment? However, there is a crucial area where I do have the ultimate choice. Will I choose joy or will I allow infertility to dictate my mindset and the attitude of my heart? Christ came that we may have life and have it more abundantly. We’re told to rejoice (Phil. 4:4). If I feel weak, the joy of the Lord is my strength. Through my weakness, Christ has the ability to become my strength.

Does this mean that I should never cry or feel down? Absolutely not. Our Savior was a man full of emotions and the Bible even says He was acquainted with grief and bore our sorrows (Isaiah 53:4). It does mean that I can choose to let Christ carry those sorrows and choose the joy that runs deeper than simple situational happiness. I can choose to accept the offer of abundant life provided by Jesus Christ Himself, or choose a life of hopelessness, jealousy, and discouragement.

Easy? Not always. But the choice is mine.



Taken from Baby Hunger: Biblical Encouragement for Those Struggling with Infertility by Beth Forbus.

No comments:

Post a Comment