Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Wisdom

I mentioned in my post from yesterday that Robbie and I really would appreciate prayers of wisdom. God speaks to me sometimes in the most incredible ways... Thinking about wisdom, I opened my Inbox to my e-mail and found this devotion that I will share with you all. I receive "Daily Double Portions" from an online support group called Sarah's Laughter. It is a support group for inferility and infant loss. A friend of mine shared this website/group with me back in the early winter and I have really enjoyed checking my e-mail daily and finding a devotion that can relate to what is happening in my life. This is a devotion about wisdom.

But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.
But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind.
James 1:5-6

When we come face to face with infertility, there are mountains of decisions that must be made. Questions bombard us with unyielding tenacity, and each demands an answer! Do we seek treatment? If so, how do we pay for it? How far will we go? Is this God’s will for our lives? How long do we keep trying to conceive? Is this God’s way of telling us to stop? How do I know if it really was God speaking to me? Each decision must be weighed carefully, for the outcome could have eternal ramifications. How do we know how to make the right decision?

Who is more wise than God? Who understands our past, our present and our future better than the author of eternity? We seek answers from doctors, from support groups, from family members and friends, and that is all well and good. God doesn’t expect us to travel through the quagmires of life without relying on each other. But when we face the difficult decisions of infertility, we can’t forget to cry out to God for His wisdom in knowing what to do.

Scripture tells us that if we ask God for wisdom-in full faith-He will grant us His wisdom. And not just a smidgen! No! He gives His wisdom generously! He wants us to make the right decisions about having a baby. He wants to lead us and guide us in His will. He says He will give us His wisdom about whether or not to seek medical help or where the money will come from.

He also grants this wisdom “without reproach”. In Biblical times, if you asked someone for a loan or asked to borrow something they owned, it was very common for the lender to belittle the borrower. Can you imagine if you asked your friend for a dollar and you got this response:

“I’ll loan you this dollar, you lazy, good-for-nothing moron! It’s amazing that you’re not smart enough to get a job good enough to provide for your family so you have to come to me! What a loser!”

I’ll bet you wouldn’t ask her for anything else any time soon! How wonderful it is that God doesn’t do us this way when we ask for His wisdom! He doesn’t answer our request with “You sorry, worthless servant! I knew you’d never figure this out on your own! I guess I’ll have to bail you out again! When will you ever learn?” No! God grants us His wisdom generously and without reproach. I believe it thrills the heart of God when we approach Him and lean on His wisdom for small decisions as well as the life changing ones.

The only requirement God lays on us is that we must ask for His wisdom in full faith. We must believe that He is who He says He is, and that He will do what He says He will do. We must not waver in our belief of Him. Have you ever seen a beach ball that gets caught in the waves on the beach? It gets slung around with every wave and every wind. God says that when we doubt, we’re just like that beach ball. We must believe when we ask God for wisdom. Our faith must stay strong even when He chooses to move in ways we cannot understand. When we approach God with unwavering faith, He promises His wisdom in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment