Thursday, September 9, 2010

Pictures of Follicles

Some people have asked what I actually see when I go in for the ultrasounds. Here is an example.

This is a picture of an ovary with 2 follicles. Normally people only have 1 to 2 follicles on their ovaries. Only one (maybe 2) matures and is released each month. With my Femara cycles last year I was only getting one mature follicle so my ultrasounds looked mostly like the picture above. Now I have PCOS, so when I go in for a baseline ultrasound before I ovulate in a given month I will have tons of tiny dots that are about a fourth of the size of the follicle in the above picture. Each follicle has a chance to mature and release. With PCOS I produce tons of follicles (which are really eggs!) but they never mature so I never ovulate so I never get pregnant on my own. This cycle I have 20 eggs on each ovary. So 40 total.
My eggs this cycle look a little like the picture above! LOL! On each ovary. Well, really this picture is 8 to 10 follicles... so just double the picture for one of my ovaries! I LOVE going for my ultrasounds. It is so amazing to see how fast they grow in such a short period of time!

No comments:

Post a Comment